The Director of Nursing and Midwifery (DoN) Scheme supports the system-wide identification, development, nurturing and deployment of a pipeline of individuals with the potential to take up Director of Nursing and Midwifery Roles within the next one to two years.
The role of nursing director and midwifery has changed substantially over the past 10 years and will continue to change as integration, technology, patient voice and governance make new demands. The role is pivotal in engaging clinical and non-clinical colleagues to create supportive and effective cultures that encourage innovation and deliver patient-focused care.
There is a system-wide aspiration for Directors of Nursing and Midwifery to have a stronger voice on the Board and at the wider decision-making table and this programme will support aspiring directors of nursing to meet this new challenge.
Invitation to apply
Applications for the programme are now open. It is for you if you are:
- are currently working at AfC 8c or above as a Deputy Director of Nursing and Midwifery or equivalent, for example working at scale in an organisation wide role
- work in a provider, commissioner, arm’s length body or an organisation delivering NHS commissioned services
- are keen to grow the skills, knowledge, attitudes and behaviours associated with the director of nursing and midwifery role
- aspire to be a director of nursing in the next 1-2 years.
The programme is 8 months in length and has been designed to provide a blended learning programme combining knowledge from job-related experiences; interactions with others and formal educational events. During the programme, participants:
- attend a launch event
- work together through a series of modules (3 x residential and 1 x one day module)
- take part in action learning sets
- identify and carry out a connecting experience (short-term secondment/ shadowing/ project or assignment/ internal or external visits)
- complete a learning log.
The programme offers ongoing support through career coaching, alumni events and by linking you with your Regional Talent Board, NHS Executive Search and Regional Chief Nurse.
Cohort 3 – Leeds
|Launch event||14 August 2019||Leeds|
|Module 1: Leading self in the system||16 – 18 September 2019||Leeds|
|Module 2: Leading in the system||2 – 3 December 2019||Leeds|
|Module 3: Skills for taking action in your system and understanding inclusion & diversity||27 – 29 January 2020||Leeds|
|Module 4: Taking the next step||4 March 2020||Leeds|
Applications close at 9.00am, 19 June 2019.
See the NHS Leadership Academy website here for further information.